Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ultra Hair Plus... Dreams?

It's that time of the month again -- my beauty budget is replenished and new products are begging to be purchased.  This past weekend, I made a quick stop at Sally's to purchase some more flexirods (same size and smaller) plus a Denman brush - $9.99 - for detangling.  In my last post, I included a video on detangling and knew it was the right direction to go.  A regular wide tooth comb is great for separating and making it manageable, however, it is far from a detangler (at least in my hair).

Not only did I stop at Sally's but I also stopped at Vitamin Shoppe to pick up hair vitamins...  but LT, weren't you supposed to go to GNC?  Yes, let me explain.  The hubby and I had an event last Friday and afterward went out to dinner.  Me, thinking that there was a GNC nearby, wanted to go to this particular place.  Turns out, my memory served me wrong and it's a Vitamin Shoppe.  I figure, close enough and so I go in and browse.  As I'm reading the ingredients of the products, I come across one made by Nature's Plus called Ultra Hair Plus.  It appeared to have the same ingredients as all the others (give or take a few vitamins - they're all the same) except a TON more.



 It cost just a few dollars more (around $18), so I figured why not?  I'm currently 8 weeks post relaxer (going on 9 woooohoooo) and I have a solid 1'' or more of new growth already.  I'm wondering how much more the pills will add?  I kind of want to wait until I complete the pills (30 days) before I relax.  Currently, I don't feel the need or urge to relax.  My scalp is not sore.  It's detangled now, which is amazing.  Plus, I've been wearing my hair curly so it's been super easy maintenance.  Speaking of which, last week I kept my curls pinned up for 2 days until I got ready to go out on Friday.   

Protecting my work!
I did it slightly different this time around.  I made the curls in the opposite direction of how I do normally (over rather than under).  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I decided to give it a try anyway.  The result, I loved it!  I think leaving it pinned up for 2 days made some of the curls extra tight, but it was still super fluffy and big when I took it down.  IMO, it was a completely different vibe from the first time I did it.  I had to redo some of the curls because they were flat, but overall it looked great.
Please excuse the bright yellow shirt : )
Saturday, I went out on a date with the hubby and just redid some of the fallen curls.  I made the mistake of jumping in the shower w/o having the curls pinned up.  Big mistake.  A lot of the ends and around my nape got super wet.  Lesson learned - Do not get in shower without pinning curls up.

On Sunday we started taking swimming lessons, so I'll need to change my regimen.  I rinsed before getting into the pool to get all of my curls out and pull my hair back into a ponytail.  The water had a HIGH chlorine content, but I guess it's cool because that means its relatively cleaner.  I stayed in the water for about an hour and I rinsed my hair out afterward.  When I came home, I shampooed with Roux Moisturizing Shampoo and then used the Conditioner.  I then did a DC with no heat for about an hour.  I let my hair air dry and for some reason it turned out super straight and detangled. I didn't even touch it.  No leave ins or anything.  Plus it was extremely SOFT.  Later that day I wanted to practice breathing underwater...  so I got in the bathtub and began an at home lesson : ) Of course, I wet my hair again.  When I got out (after nearly drowning... long story) my hair was beyond tangled!  I towel dried, took out the Denman brush, and slowly started detangling.  30 mins later, my hair was soft and beautiful and completely detangled from root to tip (or rather tip to root - watch the video).  In addition, my hair was still super soft.

In the few days of taking the pills, I have noticed less breakage.  I also read a few reviews where women commented that their hair was softer.  I have also notice another side effect that hasn't been reported.... I've had crazy vivid dreams EVERY night since taking the pills.  Last night I dreamed I cut my hair off and Usher was trying to holla at me, LOL.  This was after he helped James Brown with a part of his concert performance and was leaving the arena with 2 ladies in his car already.  I said no thank you!  Another night I dreamed that I followed my husband to an island resort, only to get caught up in some employee wage disputes that ends with tragedy, but also has a happy ending... Also, over the weekend, I was NOT able to sleep past 8:30 AM.  If you know me  you know that is highly unusual!  And I woke up with energy.  I cleaned the entire house Saturday!  Unfortunately I'm in training this week and have to wake up at 6:30 AM, but I can report I haven't had issues waking up.  And as soon as I wake up I'm talking about my dream. 

For this week, I plan on wearing hair down for a couple of days because I want to go practice in the pool during the week.  I think I'll go back on Wednesday, come home and DC again, then put my hair back in curls in time for the weekend. I have swim lessons every Sunday for the next 10 weeks, so watch out for a modified regimen.

Sweet Dreams!

3 comments:

  1. makeup is a heckava drug *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dreams are hilarious! I just recently read a blog about swimming and hair. If you ever have problems with moisture b/c of the chlorine, try doing cowashes and miss the shampoo. They also suggested rinsing hair before the swim(which you did!) because water will already be in the hair shaft leaving less room for the chlorine.

    I'll have to try the hair vitamins. I have a denman brush and a tangle teezer...not sure I really need those products my hair hardly ever tangles..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm doing the right things! I did swim yesterday and I didn't rinse prior to getting in... I can't say I've noticed a difference, but I do think it's cleaner if I do.

    I wonder why my hair gets so tangled? And the knots!!! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete