Tuesday, May 1, 2012

To Health: The Infamous Green Smoothie

Over the past several days, I've been reading online about different cleanses and diets that people are doing to be healthier.  I found a few very interesting articles called the "Detox Diaries" about ladies who tried 4 different types of cleanses - ranging from 3 days to about 3 weeks.  I've learned that no matter what the time frame, as long as you are putting more fruits and veggies into your diet (organic preferably) you are going to do your body a whole heap of good. 

So I decided to follow one of the main concepts which appears to be what several ladies are doing including fellow blogger Chary-Jay (shout out to LaNise who saw her at the Natural Hair Show in ATL this past weekend).  So I started on Friday morning with fresh veggies that I purchased at the farmer's market the day before.  I still need to run to GNC for a few other ingredients, but to make my smoothie I used:
  • Kale
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Apple
  • Banana 
  • Water
I wasn't exact and really didn't know what I was doing, but I knew it was going to take a few tries before I got it right anyway so I wasn't expecting anything magical or even yummy...  


My Kitchen Aid blender filled with the ingredients
Apples ended up at the top for no particular reason
I realized I used too much water after blending the first time, but everything mixed well
Final Results:  I added more Kale and it had a pretty green color and nice consistency
I realized with my first attempt I used WAY too much water and maybe not enough veggies.  I honestly can't say that kale has any kind of taste because I mostly tasted apple and banana.  You may be asking why I used that combo and the short answer is, I'm out of frozen fruit.  So yeah, you can make it without actually using anything frozen - just use whatever fresh you have on had.  I didn't even use ice, just poured in some water.  I did read where some people slice their bananas in half and freeze them the night before. Oh and be prepared to chew on it a little.  Some people say that's a good thing because chewing causes you to make saliva which is great for digestion. 

My goal is to keep this going -- later adding in Protein, Psyllim Seed Husk, and maybe Flax Seed.  I've seen some made with peanut butter and I've ordered one at work before and I can't wait to try it at home.  I'm looking forward to the benefits of having all my servings of fruits/veggies for the day, healthier skin, and better digestion.

Cheers to good health and great hair : )

No comments:

Post a Comment